Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The "other" side of Art

In my Art 115 class we were assigned one of the most ridiculous assignments and given only one week to complete it. (this compared to the 2.5 weeks we had for a collage...) We were told to pick a famous work of art that she had printed off. This self portrait by Van Gogh caught my eye so I chose it. Then we were told to cut it in half and paint the missing side ourselves. The purpose of the assignment is to teach us how to color match and mix colors... I have a major problem with this because as I previously stated, this is a 100 level class. This is waayyy to advanced for a level 100 class. I have not taken a single painting class! I spent a total of 19 hours on this piece and to be honest I will most likely get a C on it. This is my major, major problem with art courses. I don't ask that they be easy, but I don't think that grades should reflect talent only. In any other class that I spent 19 hours on a project would earn me an A++. But not in art, nope...

Here is my finished product, which I am sure looks fine, but compare to the original and you will see many differences were I will get marked down on.... Whatever, I am tired and this is all I got.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't tell the difference. You did a great job. I'd give you an A+++

Meyers said...

It actually freaks me out how good this is. Stop being so hard on yourself its amazing

piebakerkea said...

Like all artistic people I know, you are waaayyy to critical of yourself. I see this and think WOW! You are amazing, Hannah, and you remind me of my Grandma Dodie, an incredible artist when she was alive. She could pick her own work apart so harshly you wondered why she'd go back at it time after time.....

Unknown said...

Sorry I don't know what you are talking about because I see two pictures of the same exact thing. I can't figure out which one is yours and which is the original. you crazy little artist!
-Tess

★ThE mAd HaTTeR★ said...

Hannah this looks awesome!!! Youre really a very good artist and if you dont get an A, I will be really surprised! GREAT JOB!!!

Allanna said...

I think it looks completely amazing.

If you teacher gives you a C, you could ask me to give her a kick in the head. At least, a FIGURATIVE kick in the head ... since going to jail would be a hardship for my family.

Really, I think that all your head work totally shows.

Jason and Kenna said...

Freaking school...I remember taking a graphic design course in which it was a requirement to be able to free hand draw a perfect circle...stupid.